Friday, December 22, 2006

Good Feelings About Random Things

Tonight I heard some of the serious progress that's been made on a few of the songs for our next album. We basically have 5 songs that are close to done right now, with 5 others waiting to be developed. My son thinks we should call the album 'Volcanus' and, though I'm not exactly sure what that is, I'm sure we won't use it as it doesn't meet our strict criteria for such things (meaning, of course, that it doesn't start with a 'w').

What we've got so far has really got me excited. I'm very optimistic that early spring 2007 will, in fact, see us releasing our 4th record.

The track 'Seabright', in particular, has evolved into something quite unlike anything we've done before, but really sounds like a natural progression. Robin Guthrie (ex of Cocteau Twins) played guitar on this track while he was in town recording with Harold Budd and his work adds a nice sparkle to the climax.

Speaking of Robin, I've been meaning to mention two other blogs that you might be interested in checking out:

Robin Guthrie (as mentioned above)

Gareth Jones - Mixer/Engineer/Producer

Both contain fascinating insights and the unique touch of their respective hosts.

Evan, that swank curator of Dynamophone Records handed off to me his latest Lullaby League disc, which I hope to check out just as soon as my cranky G5 feels like acknowledging its placement in the disc slot.

Evan and I also made a brief trip to Amoeba where I picked up the new Hammock record. Quite nice and atmospheric in a way that takes me back to Slowdive/Boo Radleys et al.

Until next time...

Ryan.

No comments: