Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Still Learning & Techie Things

Just picked up a bass guitar again for the first time in quite a while - probably since I recorded some bits on the 'W&S' record. I think I finally feel comfortable with it's combination of guitar/percussiveness and I plan on getting quite a bit of practice time in. I used to hate bass when I was younger, having been more-or-less raised on electronic music. The naivete in that was pointed out to me when I realized that the bass parts on all the early OMD records were real stringed bass guitars. Over the years, I've also come to realize that bass, much like drums, has a lot to do with how people categorize music. For me, one of the most reliable ways to move a track away from an 'electronic feel' is to use a stringed bass - preferably electric. Picking up an unfamiliar instrument is always refreshing and invigorating and I've so far had quite a bit of fun 'refinining' my bass playing.

Another facet of our evolving performance is the new integration of Rebecca's laptop running Ableton live. Anyone who has seen us live is familiar with Rebecca's three microphone attack and this is sort of an extension of that - with her now being able to loop vocal bits live. Still working out the kinks and details, but this is perhaps the most potentially exciting development we've adopted in a while.

- RYAN

No comments: