Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Rethinking Bass

Over the years I've spent some time thinking of ways to avoid bringing amps onstage for guitars. My original idea - which I still use - is the reliable Pod Pro that puts out a convincing guitar sound while eliminating all the negative aspects of amps (and stompboxes).

Now that I've added bass to the setup, I've had to consider how to do something similar for it. My original plan - the path of least resistance, of course - was to just unplug the guitar and use the Pod for the bass, as well. This definitely works, though I'm not in love with the results.

Tonight, I took a shot at running Guitar Rig inside the KORE environment and using the amps/fuzz inside it to get the tone of the bass and then added dynamic processing on top of that. I can't believe how good it sounds. It's a bit weird to get my head around using a laptop as my 'bass amp', but can't argue with the sound.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just picked up your cd and really loving it. I have always wondered what people are using in their laptop live. I am looking into not using an amp...Kore Sounds interesting but I don't have any plugins to go with it. I am using logic right now but going to be picking up a copy of live soon. With the Kore controller it doesn't look like you really have a stompbox for changing or adding plug in effects while playing?

Halou said...

Joshua,

Thanks for grabbing the cd.

I wouldn't dream of using KORE without Komplete - or at least Guitar Rig. However, things should get real sweet if/once I get the Arturia vintage stuff inside it.

I haven't experimented a lot with on-the-fly effects changes live yet. Baby steps...

Good luck.